IMPOSTER SYNDROME… IT’S FOR REAL…
Do you ever feel like a fake? 🙋♀️
Have you ever played down your successes? 🙋♀️
Put overwhelming pressure on yourself because you can’t be seen to ‘fail’? 🙋♀️
Do you have a fear of being ‘found out’? 🙋♀️
Researchers suggest that sufferers of ‘imposter syndrome’ may arise from our upbringing. But really… who cares how it happens… what I’m sure you’re keen to know is…. HOW TO HANDLE THE IMPOSTER!
- Recognise those feelings when the happen. The first step is most often; AWARENESS. If we are not aware it’s happening too often, then we are likely to continue blinded by the light!
- Re-programme you’re thinking. Yup, that’s right. Scratch that record! Unwind the tape and use a pencil to twirl it back in so you’re re-wired to rock n’ roll! (This can be challenging… it’s helpful to work with a professional here; a coach is the best person to help you out!)
- Talk about the feels! A-huh. Get those words out! (Maybe not all over Facebook…) A trusted advisor, friend or (again) coach can be an invaluable set of ears for this process. If you keep it bottled up – watch out! You don’t wanna end up exploding like that shaken up coke can that’s been rolling around your car for a month!
- Consider what ACTUALLY happened. Most people will experience moments of ‘Ahhh… I don’t know if I can do this?!’ or ‘Am I really good enough/have enough experience to/capable to…. x, y, z’. We all have times that we don’t feel 100% confident. That’s the norm.
- Reframe that shit. What’s a reframe? Turn it upside down, spin it on it’s head… all the same, matey. If you find yourself feeling the imposter rising from the deep, have a think about what you can learn from the situation. There’s always a silver lining, right? Ok, maybe not ALWAYS, but I’m pretty sure when it comes to this little ‘poser’ you can find the silver there! Also helps to separate YOU from the action here. Instead of ‘I’m a complete loser and can’t do x, y, z…’ how about ‘Ok, so I can’t figure out how to do x, y, z yet… it doesn’t mean I’m a failure… I simply haven’t found out how yet!’
- BE KIND. Sounds easy right?! Just be kind, she says. That’s all you gotta do. Be ‘nice’ to yourself… Ok. Sure. It’s not always that easy. But… you are human after all, and you’re allowed to make mistakes and stuff things up once in a while. Forgive and forget. Or maybe, it should be forgive… and remember the lesson.
- Don’t forget, you deserve a reward from time to time too. Celebrate the wins… even the little ones. Get your brain in the habit of saying ‘Hell yeh, I did that!’ Woop Woop!
That’s the end of the story.
Keep your eye on the prize and always ask for help when you need it. Superhero’s only exist in stories after all! Give yourself a break.
I’d love to get inside you’re head! Leave some comments below!